I offer complete prenatal, labour and postpartum
doula support in Guelph, Fergus, Elora, K-W and Orangeville areas, at reasonable rates. I support women: of any age and income; who are seeing midwives, obstetricians or family doctors; with plans to give birth at home or in a hospital; who are single or with a partner. To arrange a complimentary consultation, or if you have any questions about my services
or rentals, please contact me. For more information about doulas, click here.
Each family's needs are different, and my role will be defined by the wishes of the mother and her family, but my services can include:
- 2 prenatal meetings (plus the
complimentary consultation) to discuss information about your
pregnancy, your birth preferences, any questions or concerns,
and to help prepare for labour.
- Phone and/or email support anytime from the time of hiring until your baby is 6 months of age.
- Access to my lending library of books and DVDs.
- Assistance with formulating a birth
preferences list, if requested.
- I will be on-call for you (reachable by pager 24/7) starting 2 weeks before your due date until the birth of your baby.
- Early labour support over the phone or in your home, as needed.
- Labour support from the time you request it until 1 to
3 hours after your baby has been born. Support can include massage, comfort measures such as hot or cold packs, relaxation guidance, suggestions for position changes, encouragement, perspective, information about what is happening, support and breaks for your partner, sibling care,
photography/videography, and practical help such as fetching drinks and
- Support for women having planned c-sections.
- Help with initiating breastfeeding, if that is what you choose to do.
- Two postpartum visits: the first during the first week postpartum, and the 2nd between 4 and 6 weeks postpartum.
- Copies of a log of your labour and birth, as well as a written birth story.
I charge a flat rate for the birth doula package. Contact me for information on rates.
While doula services are not covered by OHIP, some private insurance companies
cover doulas, or you can claim my fee on your income tax return, under "Medical
services not covered by the provincial health plan". For more information,
Prenatal Yoga Classes
I am pleased to offer group prenatal yoga classes at
Studio in Fergus, above the General Store.
Come take an hour out for yourself
and your baby... learn breathing techniques that will help you in labour, build
strength and health, stretch out any aches and experience deep relaxation. No
yoga experience necessary. Please check with your midwife or doctor before
starting any new exercise in pregnancy.
Next session: Sundays from 7:00pm-8:00pm starting May 25th. 5 weeks, $50.
(Shorter sessions available for those with close due dates).
To sign up, contact me or visit
Shakti Power Studio.
Birth Pool Rentals
Water can be a tremendously helpful and relaxing
tool to have while in labour. I am pleased to offer two styles of
birth pool for rent:
International's "Birth Pool in a Box Eco".
this inflatable PVC pool include:
- Comfortable, portable, easy to set up and
- The first FDA-approved birth pool.
- Deep enough to cover your belly - float and
change positions with ease, or rest on the built-in seat. Four
handles give you a grip when you need it.
- Roomy enough for two people - 6x5 feet.
- Three inflatable chambers for safety and
- Patented form-fitting disposable liner for
added leak protection and hygiene.
- One of the only pools made without phthalates
- better for the environment, better for you and your baby.
The Birth Pool in a Box is available for rent for $200 per month. Rental fee includes birth
pool, new liner, tap attachment, electric air pump for
inflating, thermometer, debris net, lead-free non-toxic
filling hose, patch kit, submersible water pump and hose for
emptying, and instructions. Home delivery and pick-up
available for a nominal fee. I also have a smaller version of the Birth Pool in a
Box available for $175 per month.
Rubbermaid Birthing Tub
Features of this tub include:
- Sturdy, made from hard plastic.
- No inflation necessary - just pad, line and
- Roomy 3x5 foot design.
The Rubbermaid tub is available for rent for
$125.00 per month. Rental fee includes birth pool, new
liner, thick foam padding, debris net, submersible water pump for emptying, and instructions.
Home delivery and pick-up available for a nominal fee.
For more information or to reserve a birth pool,
contact me. You do not need to be a client to rent a pool.
TENS (transcutaneous electric nerve stimulation)
can be used for pain relief during labour. A TENS unit consists of
4 adhesive electrodes (usually applied to the woman's back),
attached to a controller by 4 wires. The labouring woman holds the
controller and turns the current up or down based on her comfort
level. A 9-volt battery sends mild electric currents through the
electrodes; this current stimulates the large muscle fibres, which
can interfere with pain signals, and stimulate endorphins (the
"feel good" chemical produced in your brain). TENS can actually
shorten labour, help the mother to feel in control, and is especially
helpful in easing back pain.
I have taken a workshop in TENS, and
have a TENS unit available for rental for $20 per week with a 2 week minimum. If you're interested in
adding TENS to your comfort measures "tool kit", contact me. You do not need to be my client to
rent the TENS unit.